How Tae Kwon Do Can Make Your Heart Healthier
Any exercise is a good way to keep your body fit and your heart in good shape, but Taekwondo offers some unique advantages when it comes to heart health. This full-body workout can strengthen your heart and promote good lifelong health.
While people at any age benefit from the health effects of practicing Taekwondo, the heart-related benefits are a great reason to get into martial arts as an adult or senior. No matter where you are starting from, Taekwondo can help you set and achieve physical fitness and health goals.
Benefits of Martial Arts on Heart Health
Having a healthy heart is key to overall health. It helps maintain the health of the rest of your body, keeps you active and energized, and reduces your risk for heart attacks, heart disease, and other related health issues. The workout that Taekwondo provides when practiced regularly, can contribute to a healthier heart by:
- Increasing Heart Rate – Exercise elevates your heart rate. This works out the heart, which is a muscle and helps add oxygen to the blood and burn calories. While any exercise can do this, attending martial arts classes a few times each week provides the right amount of heart rate elevation to stay healthy.
- Lowering Blood Pressure – High blood pressure is a leading cause of heart problems. Because regularly increasing your heart rate will make your heart stronger, it will be able to pump blood more efficiently and lower your overall blood pressure.
- Lowering Bad Cholesterol – Taekwondo provides an intense exercise that burns calories and reduces the size of the proteins that carry LDL cholesterol which can contribute to health problems. When participating in Taekwondo, you will also produce HDL, a good form of cholesterol.
- Increasing Circulation – With your heart pumping blood more easily and more oxygen in the blood, you will get better circulation throughout your body. This can help you feel more alert and boost your immune system.
- Minimizing Stress Levels – Stress has many physical symptoms as well as psychological ones and is a leading cause of hypertension. Taekwondo helps reduce stress, minimizing the negative health effects it causes.
When combined with Taekwondo’s ability to build muscle, burn fat, improve balance and flexibility, and promote mental health, Taekwondo is a great sport to get into when you want to revitalize your health or keep in great shape.
Master P’s World Class Tae Kwon Do offers adult martial arts classes in West Chester. From experienced martial artists to adults of all ages looking to try Taekwondo for the first time, our instructors will guide you through new skills and help you reach new goals. Join us for a week of free classes to trail Taekwondo.